A/ Fill in the blanks with the correct words from the list
accomplishments – moderation – light – underestimate – outstanding – unprecedented
- Rajae got an —————– mark in the last physics test.
- A large number of people ————— the importance of humor in building and preserving social relationships.
- Drawing ten pictures is just one of Redoune’s —————-.
- Humour should be used with —————-,as it has both positive and negative aspects.
B/ Put the verbs between brackets in the correct tense
- You must look both ways before (cross) the road.
- Although I know that he is wrong, I shouldn’t (argue) with him.
- When I arrived at the station, Mary (wait) for me. She was wearing a blue dress and looked very pretty.
- We want (buy) more butter. We have just a little in the fridge.
C/ Match the sentences with the functions they express
|1. You may have stayed here all night. |
2. You needn’t look for a hotel. I’ll put you up.
3. They had better warn people about the dangerous currents.
4. Your map must have been out of date.
|a. expressing advice |
b. expressing past possibility
c. expressing past deduction
d. expressing lack of necessity
D/ Respond to the following situations as suggested
- Robert: The new motorway will start functioning this week. You: ……………………… (express disagreement)
- Your classmate: I have come without any money. Can you lend me some? You: ………………. (accept request)
- The customs officer: The plane should have landed at Heathrow, but it has been diverted to Gatwick. You: ……………….. (ask for clarification)
- People should be allowed to leave the theatre by all exit doors. you: ………………………. (express opinion)
E/ Rewrite the following sentences using the words given
- I have lost my umbrella! I am sure I left it on the bus! (must)
- For Chinese people, it is normal to eat snakes and frogs. (be used to)
- I expect to get an answer from you. (look forward to)
- I hate to listen to this person. He is too boring. (can’t stand)