What are adjectives?
- Adjectives are words that modify nouns or pronouns. That is, they give us specific information about these nouns/pronouns. This information can be related to appearance, size, color, behavior, etc.
- Adjectives don’t have a plural form; i.e., they never take the plural “s”.
- Tom is an excellent student.
- Tom and his brother are excellent students.
Uses of adjectives
When an adjective describes a noun, it is placed after the verb.
- Peter and his parents live in a nice villa
- Paula speaks good English.
- Subject+to be+adjective
When an adjective describes the subject, it is placed after “to be”.
- This exercise is difficult
- Rolls Royce cars are expensive.
Take a look at the table below, as it shows more adjectives uses.
Use the words below to form correct sentences. Pay attention to adjective placements.